Monday 5 August 2013

REVIEW: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE BY BETH REVIS



Across The Universe by Beth Revis was published in 2011 and is part of a trilogy, the following books being 'A Million suns' and 'Shades of Earth'.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.


Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming. (Summary via Goodreads)


Note: This review will be spoiler free.



Having never heard of this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. I decided to read it after I saw a picture of it on someones instagram, because the cover drew me in straight away. All I can say is; WOW, I'm glad I did go ahead and read this. I couldn't put it down, it's so fast paced and easy to read that I actually sat for hours last night and went from it being 20% completed (on my kindle) to the full 100% in one sitting. The problem, however, with finishing this book at night is that it resulted in a very bad nights sleep for me! I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I had so many more questions that I had to stop myself from immediately continuing on to the second book in the trilogy.

For me, this book had the perfect mix of plot twists that you could never of seen coming, and plot twists that you could of seen coming if you'd given it enough thought. I love these kinds of twists, and the last few chapters had some that made me say "HA, I KNEW IT!", ones that made me say "Of course, it all makes sense now" and then there were the ones that made me say out loud "WHAT?!?!" 

As for the characters, Beth Revis has a way of writing that makes you feel connected to them almost immediately. Personally, I was more drawn to Elder than Amy and I still think we see so much more of his personality than hers, but I guess this is just because Elder is at home (as much as he can be, I guess) on the ship whereas Amy is in a completely new environment so of course we aren't going to see her full personality. This is also one of rare times in a YA book where I don't feel as though the love story is being rushed, I think that it moved at a realistic pace during the book and I hope it continues to do so in the sequel.

Overall, I really enjoyed this and I can't wait to sink into the next one. If you're a fan of YA books (Such as Divergent or City of Bones) and are wondering what to read next, definitely go for this one! You won't regret it.




No comments:

Post a Comment